There are as lot of people that I know that download songs illegally. People have even asked me what types of downloading software to use to download these songs for free and I have told them which ones work best. This is one issue that is becoming a major problem in American society and it is nearly impossible to stop. Some of the people I am acquainted with have even downloaded movies and video games for free. These downloads can cost up to $750 per song according to Marshall University’s website.
I helped a neighbor of mine get access to a program called Lime Wire, where people can download anything from movies to songs and even television shows. This program was relatively safe, but I am pretty sure my neighbor got a virus from using the program, that’s why I’m a Mac person, but I digress.
One way to perform an investigative report, if I am the government trying to find out who is doing it, is to find out the Internet Protocol (IP) address if the users who are performing excessive downloading. An IP address is issued by a person’s router and is a code that can be tracked. This code could lead me to find out what they are downloading and how they can be tracked.
Another way to find out is to check with the provider, to see how much downloading has been done by that particular person of interest and see the trend amongst the public to see if there are any variances. Providers can keep track of how much downloading is been going on, because customers are given a set amount of bandwidth that they are allowed to use and if they surpass is, they can be charged an extra fee for it.
Another way to find out, unfortunately it’s less likely to work, would be to go door to door and ask people if they are downloading songs. Surprisingly people have come into where I work and have told me that they have downloaded illegally and do not care because “everyone is doing it”.
Another way to expose the people who are downloading is to contact the software companies. It is a good way to get information about who downloads and how much. Unfortunately it is becoming a lot harder to track people because there are IP address blockers that block IP addresses from being tracked.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment